Tuesday, April 13, 2010

A Trip to the Frontroom

 What happens when Wendell decides to venture forth from the safety of his room?

"Intrepid explorer Alfred F. Feathersworth the Third plans his trip carefully taking into account all its dangers. The voyage will be long and dangerous leading our hero deep into the heart of cat country. Experts have said the trip could not be made. The experts have not met our brave hero. A hero who barks in the face of danger. A hero--"

"Whatcya doing bro?"

"No-nothing," Wendell stammered. "Don't sneak up on me like that while I'm thinking about things."

Otis chuckled. "And whatcya thinking about so hard you didn't hear me?"

"None of your business," said Wendell raising his nose up in the air and pretending to look at a spot high up the wall. "And even if it were your business, I still wouldn't tell you. Sneaking around like a cat. It's unseemly."

"Suit yourself, I'm going to take a nap. Budge up, the bed isn't all yours you know."

"You can have the bed all to yourself this afternoon. I'm going on a perilous quest which I can't tell you about because you snuck up on me. Even if I could tell you, I still wouldn't because you would try to stop me." Wendell nimbly jumped over his brother landing outside the dog bed. Turning around to face Otis he took a deep breath and looked at his brother solemnly. "If I don't make it back I leave you my clear chewie bone and squeaky hedgehog."

Otis took a half turn around the bed and lay down facing his brother. "Your going to the front room aren't you?" he asked casually.

Wendell's eyes narrowed. "Maybe. Why?"

"I just came back from the front room," said Otis.

"You did not," cried Wendell.

"Did so."

"Not."

"So."

"If I weren't about to go bravely off on this adventure, I'd bite your leg off. Luckily for you I have far more important things to do."

"Whatever bro. I'll have the bed nice and warmed up when you get back."

Wendell snorted and briskly turned away from his brother lounging comfortably in the doggie bed. Trotting to the water bowl on the other side of the room he took a long drink.

"He did not go to the front room," grumbled Wendell under his breath licking water droplets off his muzzle. "I'll be the first to bravely venture forth and discover untold treasures in the front room. The wilds of cat controlled country will hold no secrets for Alfred F. Feathersworth the Third."

Taking stock of himself Wendell decided it was time to brave the hallway. With a quick run to the door followed by a lunge out into the hall, just to throw anyone that might be out there off, he looked in both directions to see if the coast was clear.

Emptiness.

"The most daring expedition of all dog kind begins with a good omen. The halls are clear of patrolling cats." Wendell let out a short laugh and quickly quieted himself. "The foolish cats have let down their guard. Little do they know Alfred Fearless Feathersworth will soon plunder their hidden treasures."

Wendell took three slow steps forward stopping again to glance around. Things were still quiet. Another tentative step forward and he sat, panting slightly.

"It's quiet. Too quiet." Wendell sniffed at the air intently. "The cats are more cleaver than our hero first anticipated. They must be laying in ambush up ahead. Little do they know our brave hero is an expert in detecting and avoiding such traps."

Up ahead, to the left just around that corner. Was that a whisker?

Wendell stood in his best, most intimidating guard dog pose and barked twice. "I see you up there. Give up and spare yourself. My middle name isn't Killer for nothing you know."

"I thought your new middle name was Fearless."

Wendell jumped high into the air letting out a most un-dog like squeak. When he landed, Otis was standing beside him.

"I thought you were sleeping?" squeaked Wendell still trying to figure out if his heart had stayed up in the air or fallen out onto the floor.

"I got thirsty. You're only like 4 steps past the doorway so I decided to see what the problem was."

"There's no problem. I was being cautious. There's a cat up there waiting to ambush me but I'm not falling for it."

"Really?" asked Otis sounding genuinely interested. He trotted up the hall tail wagging away. Reaching the end of the hall Otis disappeared around the corner briefly before coming back to Wendell with a shoe in his mouth. Otis yawned dropping the shoe. "Nope, no cat. Just the female human's shoe which I got dibs on for later."  Otis yawned again. "I'm heading back to bed."

"Show off," Wendell accused.

"Not my fault you're scared bro. You'll get over it one day."

"I'm not scared."

"Naw, not at all. You yelp like a girl because you're fearless."

Wendell dove at Otis, mouth open wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment